Okay, I need to take another poll. At what age did you transition your little one from a crib to a bed? Did it go well or do you wish you waited longer?
I'm trying to decide if I need to buy a second crib. The girls will be about 23 months apart. My pack-n-play has a nice bassinet attachment that Brooke slept in for the first month so I plan to use this with baby #2. I also don't mind her sleeping in the pack-n-play for a few months. But if I don't transition Brooke to a bed until she's 2.5 or older I think I'd like a second crib. Toddlerwise recommends transitioning by the age of 2 but I don't know anyone who moved their toddler to a bed this young.
Thanks for your input on this and the name!
1 year ago

6 comments:
We transitioned Daniel at about 2 years and 3 months. He loved and still loves going to a "big boy bed." The only downer I've had with it is that naps pretty much ended with this transition. But, we moved Daniel early so he wouldn't feel like the baby "took" his bed :-). I think it just depends on each kid though!
Hi Holly,
Emma was 2 1/2, just after you guys were there for Thanksgiving we moved her over! Although we had the mattress on the floor for a long time... which was a great jumping toy:) If you just buy the mattress and give it a try for a couple of weeks, then at least you would know? We got ours at Costco/Sam's for $200 both box and mattress. I think each child is so unique, it is totally up to what your heart feels. I know for Emma we were at the point that she was ready to jump out of her crib:) Best to you...
Hi, So B and T were about 27mos. apart and we were in the exact position. We had Ty sleep in a pac n play the first month or so until Ben transitioned to the big boy bed. He was definitely ready for the bed as he was able to climb in and out of his crib(we put an ottoman next to the crib in case he did climb out, we didn't want him to get hurt!). I personally think transitioning by the age of 2 is young. I agree with you. I feel like with Ben and the other moms I've talked to about this there were signs they were ready rather than an age to decide. Ben's transition did go well, he still sleeps great in his bed both at night and for his nap. There were a few nights with tears and talks about the change and we still get "Ty can't sleep in my crib!" but it has gone very well.
Joss hated her crib so we moved her to a bed at 18 months. She liked it better than the crib and it did not seem to make any difference in her sleep habits (she has NEVER slept through the night). She does not get out of her bed and she was trying to climb out of th ecrib at 18 months, another reason for the swap. I guess it worked for us :)
There you go--all individual and based on the child with no "right time" for every child. Ha it all goes by so fast--too fast-can't wait to see you all soon.
I transitioned both my kids around 2 due to the fact they they were potty training and can't get out of a crib to go potty. It didn't effect the nap thing for us and my youngest is 3 1/2 and is still taking a nap in here big girl bed. I do agree that it depends on each kid. You can also get bed guards or rails to help them not fall out. You can also put pillows or such on the floor beside the bed for the first few nights until they get used to not having all four walls to keep them in bed.
Post a Comment