A little quote that I want to remember everyday...

If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Kiva

I received $100 in remembrance for my Grandma donated by the community in which she lived. The money should be used for something special. I chose to honor it by giving back (lending) to others. I am sharing this in case you haven't heard of Kiva. I heard about it on one of the morning news shows and think its a great idea! Once the money is repaid I will lend it again to someone else.

Kiva's mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty.

Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs around the globe.

I chose to lend to two groups:

Benkelema 1 Group in Mali (Activity: Farming):
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=121662&_te=ty

Nguyễn Thị Toan's Group in Viet Nam (Activity: Livestock):
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=122896&_te=ty

2 comments:

kerriek said...

What a wonderful idea!

Tiffany said...

I've heard about Kiva before and wondered if it really worked. I can't wait to hear more about your investment. Do you get reports on how the people you've lent money to are doing? Keep us posted!