A little quote that I want to remember everyday...

If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Change in birth plan...

again! Jason and I had our first appointment at the Birth Center and it was great as I expected. After we went over a typical labor and birth with a midwife and the statistics of women needing to be transferred to a hospital (which is very low), Jason asked if they do home births. It might help to know that I had Jason watch the video, "The Business of Being Born" just last night. This is a documentary done by Rikki Lake and focuses on home births with midwives, most in water. I had already seen it but thought it would be great for Jason to learn about all the benefits of a natural, unmedicated birth. I wasn't implying that we try for a home birth since I was pretty set on the birth center. However when I watched this video for the first time really early in my pregnancy I thought a home birth would be great! But I don't personally know anyone who has had a home birth and I really didn't know how to go about finding a midwife and dealing with insurance, so I settled on the midwives at the hospital.

Do you know where this is going yet? Well the midwives at the Birth Center are covered by almost all insurance plans (including mine) and they do do home births. To my surprise Jason was pretty insistent on having our baby at home in our big jetted tub! With this now being a realistic option and Jason's support how could I say no? So that is the plan...have Brooke in the comfort of our home!! A midwife from the birth center is always on call to attend the birth and I'll also have my doula!

I am really excited about this! It will be so nice for everyone to be in the comfort and privacy of our home with everything we need. Oh, I just thought about this...I guess we won't have to pack a bag ahead of time! My parents will also be here and I know will be so much help during this time!!

On another note, I got the Fuzzi Bunz today....so cute! They just came out with adjustable one-size fits all, or rather infant to toddler. Before you had to pick a size and may need several sizes while the baby/toddler is in diapers. The new adjustable ones look really well made and look like they will work great! The inner fleece lining of the diapers is soooo soft. If any of you moms plan to buy them I would recommend signing up for their mailing list and they will send you a 5% off coupon, which I took advantage of. Also keep in mind its never too late to try these with your baby, especially the adjustable ones! You will also be able to use them with your next child too which means big savings on diapers!

2 comments:

THM said...

I'm really excited for your birth. The support of your family will give you extra strength and comfort. Just listen to your body and your baby and you'll have a wonderful experience. Can't wait to see you in February.

Anonymous said...

my mom had both my sister and i at home and loved it!
-kerrie