A little quote that I want to remember everyday...

If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Backyard Renovation

When we bought our house almost 1 year ago the only thing I wasn't totally happy with was the backyard. It was okay but coming from our Woodinville yard NOTHING compares. Even though I sure don't miss the maintenance of our old yard I still wanted a really nice yard to spend time in and I enjoy gardening. Jason didn't mind the yard too much but hated the view of the church parking lot. During the summer the Aspens and Maples helped block it but during the winter months we had a lovely view of an illuminated (all night) church parking lot. Plus we didn't really like how our deck was so secluded from the rest of the yard - wanted them to blend together. But we love the trampoline and so do the girls so that was a keeper!

About a month ago I finally found a guy to do the job. We removed about half our lawn - yay!! I hated mowing around the trees, along the fence and the house. We also removed 3 Aspens and 3 Maples. Then planted 11 columnar evergreens along the back fence that will grow to 6' wide and 15-20' tall, perfect for a small yard and to block out the parking lot year round. I also planted about 75 more plants around the perimeter and deck - just finished today!

To incorporate the deck into the yard better we modified the deck by moving the stairs to the middle facing the back and added an extension to where the stairs used to be. I was able to match the wood stain really well so you can't even notice the addition. Then we had a flag stone patio built which will be home to a gas fire pit surrounded by chairs next summer. We also added lattice around the bottom of the deck and the ugly A/C units.

I had a flagstone path installed along the south side of our house where I'll have a veggie garden on both sides next summer We also had sprinkler modifications including a new zone added, 10 yards of topsoil and concrete curbing!
BEFORE - entering the backyard from the side gate.

AFTER - flagstone path with future home of veggies on either side. I still need to get rid of the extra sod that was cut for the curbing.

BEFORE

AFTER

AFTER -  we had to raise the lawn a bit in some areas which is bare dirt right now. Can't wait until next summer when it grows in.

BEFORE - looking toward the gate.

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

AFTER - we modified this window well by removing the steel support and replacing it with rocks and lining the bottom with flagstone.

BEFORE

BEFORE

AFTER - notice the 'hedge' of pink rose bushes? These are ground cover roses so they stay small and flower all summer!

BEFORE - we built the shed last spring.

DURING

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE


AFTER

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

AFTER

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

AFTER - here you can see the deck extensions (notice the match line under the ottomans.)
We cannot wait until next summer when the grass fills in and the plants take off! I'm super excited to have this new yard. Before we did this project we contemplated moving in the near future for a yard with a view but we love this house and location so I kept pushing to just change the yard. The evergreens remind me of Washington and the style of the yard is reminiscent of Woodinville but about a tenth of the size, phew.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Wow--what an undertaking! It looks so beautiful! I can't wait to see it! You've put so much love and work into your home--very nice! Love to all!

McDermott's said...

It looks so nice Holly!

THM said...

looks wonderful!