A little quote that I want to remember everyday...

If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Daddy's little girl

This story was written by Jason and posted on Facebook. For those of you who aren't on FB I thought I'd share this cute story. (Just a side note, the car knows if a child's car seat is in the front so it does not turn on the airbag. Brooke was safe on this adventure!)

I'm not really sure how this started - but my 2 year old Brooke likes to say "Daddy fast" sometimes when we're driving. Perhaps it started when I took a fast corner or tried passing somebody in the Enclave or 4runner and the wife said "Daddy fast". Whenever she says it now I stand on the gas to try and get a "rise" out of her but never really seem to deliver. I feel like I let her down and she just repeats herself - "Daddy fast" - as if my attempt was just a warm-up and now I'm really going to do it.

This day was something special though. The wife went into work for a bit and it was gorgeous outside so I decided to run some errands. The wife had Skylar with her and I had Brooke. I decided it was time to take Brooke out for the first time in the BMW so I mounted the car seat into the front and off we went.



In anticipation of if/when my little Brooke might say “Daddy fast”, each time we got back into the car I set the i-Drive to sport mode and reduced the traction control (so we could do adolescent burnouts ;-)… After a few stops along our route that day Brooke finally said the magic words, and you see it had been difficult for me up to this point because as much as I wanted to make her giggle, I wasn’t going to do anything until she said those 2 little words “Daddy fast”.


As she said them - “Daddy fast” - with a huge smile and a few tugs of the paddle shifter I mashed the gas and listened to my daughter laugh and squeal with delight as the twin turbos spooled and the ass end of the beamer broke loose for what seemed like a city block. As I applied the brakes I thought to myself "Daddy fast???" .....“god damn right daddy fast!"

We spent the next 15 minutes or so doing zero to 35mph sprints around some back roads. Never really speeding, just getting to the speed limit as fast as possible. Brooke laughing each and every time. It was great.

I think she's beginning to feel the same way about cars I do. Mom still doesn't get it, but my little Brooke does;-)


2 comments:

Mom said...

VERY CUTE!!!!!!! I SEE OUR LITTLE BROOKE STILL HAD HER 'NINGY' WITH HER--HA HA--LET'S HOPE SHE NOT A LITTLE SPEED FREAK--WE'LL HAVE TO GET HER INTO RACING CARS...FUN

Gail Tester said...

That pic of Brookey with her sunglasses is scary... she looks too old! Yes, I'm afraid Gigi got her going on the "Daddy Fast!"... sorry. :) xo